EUGENE, Ore. – Eugene Springfield Fire responded to a house fire on the 2200 block of Silhouette Street early Saturday morning.
Crews were called out to the fire around 8:30 a.m.
Witnesses say the smoke was so thick, it was consuming the cul-de-sac.
"I mean (sic) the smoke was everywhere," said Isabella Roberts, a neighbor. "It was all over the cul-de-sac. You couldn't go anywhere without there being smoke following you. And the flames were so high and so bright. It was crazy."
KEZI 9 News learned everyone made it out safely and no pets were hurt.
The man who lived in the house was a tenant who the property owner says has been living in the home for 10 years.
The garage was destroyed in the fire and there was heavy smoke at the scene.
Much of the house was badly burned and the man's car was destroyed by the blaze.
Keith Haggas, a Deputy Fire Marshal with Eugene Springfield Fire said cars, when caught on fire, pose an increased threat.
"A car is a fuel package," said Haggas. "I mean there's a lot of plastics, upholstery, gas tank, tires on a car. Anything you keep in your garage is fuel for a fire."
The fire caused heat damage to the outside of the neighboring home and to the inside of the connected unit, but no physical damage was caused to any other building.
Haggas says they won't know until after insurance auditors come if the home is a total loss, but he said the garage absolutely is.
Firefighters were also able to salvage some personal photos belonging to the man living in the home and return them to him.
Officials from the Red Cross were on scene to assist the man.
- Cigarette likely cause of fire at Eugene home, officials say
- Fire destroys Eugene mobile home
- Cigarette sparks house fire in Roseburg, officials say
- Cigarette to blame in fire that killed 71-year-old in Sweet Home, officials say
- Yard fire spreads to Eugene home
- Mobile homes catch fire in Eugene
- Early morning fire destroys Eugene home
- Early morning fire destroys home in Eugene
- Fire damages Eugene businesses
- Warming fire caused storage pod blaze in Eugene, officials say