EUGENE, Ore. -- For some drivers and pedestrians, the intersection of Willakenzie and Coburg roads is daunting, and now they're demanding changes be made.
Susan Fisher is one of many drivers concerned about the intersection. She said people constantly cross the double yellow lines, back into traffic and block the sidewalk in the area.
The parking lot by Walgreens and Dutch Bros is of particular concern. Some said they go to that area when they're in a hurry because it’s a one stop shop, but the problem is the legal entrance takes too long to get to.
Drivers aren't the only ones with traffic safety concerns.
"People need to be more cautious of kids, adults, people that have disability problems,” Fisher said.
Kim Smith walks on this street every day to get her daily exercise. She told KEZI 9 News she can’t walk as fast as she used to because of her cancer. She specifically avoids the side of the street where people turn into the parking lot because she says she doesn’t trust drivers’ behaviors.
"I have to put up my hand and say, 'Stop.' I think they need more of a stop-side turn right here because kids ... I see small kids getting hit, bicyclists getting hit,” Smith said.
Officials told KEZI about 15 crashes happen at the intersection every year. They put up temporary barriers to try and steer drivers away from bad behaviors, but have since taken them down. They are currently working on putting in a speed bump to reduce peoples speed and hopefully many people’s fears.
- Residents demand changes at popular Eugene intersection
- House fire displaces Eugene residents
- Man hit at Eugene intersection neighbors call dangerous
- Two-car crash shuts down intersection in west Eugene
- Major Eugene intersection reopens after pedestrian-involved crash
- Popular Eugene bagel shop closing after 40 years
- Junction City residents demand action after months of 'undrinkable' water
- Eugene residents raise concerns about panhandling
- Eugene residents react to life expectancy report
- Mozilla funds "Gigabit Artist Residencies" in Eugene schools