EUGENE, Ore. -- Now that a redacted version of the Mueller report is in the hands of congress and the public, there's a battle for more information about the Special Counsel's full findings.
Congressman Peter DeFazio said he wants more answers.
"Congress needs, and I think the American people need, the full, unredacted report," DeFazio said. "Congress also needs the background investigative material."
The House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler has issued a subpoena for Robert Mueller's full report, which found no evidence of collusion with the Russians during the 2016 election. On the topic of obstruction of justice, the report lists 11 instances that raised concerns.
DeFazio said it's their obligation to investigate further.
"If we find impeachable articles, we would be obligated to go forward, but that's not the ideal path as far as I'm concerned. We do not want to have a failed impeachment which it would be because it would not pass the Senate," DeFazio said.
The Mueller report is just one of several items on his agenda: "There's a whole lot of other things going on," DeFazio said.
As chairman of the House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee, infrastructure is near the top of his list.
"I'm trying to work with the Trump White House to do a major reinvestment in our crumbling roads, bridges, highways and decrepit transit systems," DeFazio said.
He said the government needs to raise more money to invest in roads, something he's been having to push for on both sides of the aisle.
Health care is another priority. He said there's concern over repealing the Affordable Care Act: "We don't need to repeal it. We need to fix it," DeFazio said.
DeFazio reiterated there's a long list of issues he wants to fix over the next 18 months: "I've got a big agenda in front of me that will impact the American people."
- Rep. DeFazio talks Mueller report, infrastructure and more
- Rep. Peter DeFazio discusses infrastructure, train safety, and new tax plan
- DeFazio: Release Mueller's full report as soon as possible
- DeFazio blasts immigration raids
- Rep. DeFazio promises investigation into Boeing 737 Max
- DeFazio tours Roseburg VA campus
- DeFazio, Eugene mayor, state treasurer to talk Trump tax bill
- Rep. DeFazio holds round table discussion regarding Water Resources Development Act
- DeFazio: Retaliation still happening at Roseburg VA
- Congressman DeFazio sits down with KEZI