EUGENE, Ore. -- The ThanksGIVEaway food drive wrapped up Nov. 27 with an RV being stuffed with food for the Relief Nursery.
KEZI 9 News worked with Roto-Rooter and The RV Corral to collect food items for the nonprofit.
The Relief Nursery helps stop the cycle of child abuse and neglect. They focus on building successful and resilient children, strengthening parents and preserving families.
They prepare and serve 950 free meals every week for children and families.
The effect of people’s generosity goes further than they can imagine.
“We have a lot of need during the holidays, Thanksgiving and Christmas,” Said Kristen Bartels, community engagement coordinator with the Relief Nursery. “A lot of our families would not be able to have meals on the table. For a lot of us, we can’t imagine what it would be like to have a holiday where there would be no meal, so this takes a lot of pressure off of those families, and they can enjoy the holiday like the rest of us.”
Roto-Rooter technicians helped collect items on their service calls to help out.
“Every time we went to a job, primarily residential, we would offer 25 off if they would give us three non-perishable goods,” Roto-Rooter owner Don Sherwood said.
In all, Roto-Rooter rounded up 600 food items and gave away 179 coupons for a total amount of $4,475.
The RV Corral also assisted in collecting food for the drive.
"This is the first year we’ve gotten involved with the Relief Nursery fundraiser,” owner Tina Ray said. “We brought a trailer over so we could collect food -- collect anything they need this time of year. Mostly food is what it’s been. So the trailer was here just to have room for KEZI to put their food into.”
Ray said they plan on participating again next year.
- Relief Nursery receives donation after ThanksGIVEaway food drive
- Eugene Mission benefits from the Ultimate ThanksGIVEaway
- OSU receives multi-million dollar donation
- FISH Food Pantry will hold a food drive this Saturday
- 37th annual Governor's Food Drive begins
- Iconic Roseburg drive-in opens food truck
- Oregon State University receives grant to reduce food waste
- Disney is donating more than $1 million to the Bahamas for Dorian relief
- Roseburg grocery store makes huge donation to UCAN Food Bank
- Springfield Police K-9 Unit receives donation from gun shop