SUTHERLIN, OR. -- The Sutherlin community will be getting free smoke detectors on Saturday thanks to the Red Cross and Sutherlin Fire Department.
The Red Cross said every day, an average of seven people die in home fires throughout the United States.
About two-thirds of those happen because the homes don’t have working smoke detectors.
On Saturday, volunteers will be handing out ten-year lithium ion smoke detectors in an effort to keep the community safe.
“New smoke detectors come with ten year batteries, but that don’t mean ignore it for ten years," said Sutherlin Fire Chief Mike Lane. "We need to have them tested – push the button, test it every month, make sure the thing is working. If it’s not working or your battery is tripping, we gotta replace batteries or buy a new smoke detector. If your detector is over ten years old, throw it out and install a new one.”
You can join the volunteers at their kick-off event at the Sutherlin Senior Center at nine in the morning.
They will be installing smoke detectors until about four that afternoon.
- Red Cross and Sutherlin Fire Dept. to hand out smoke detectors
- Firefighters install smoke detectors in Springfield neighborhood
- Red Cross and Sutherlin Fire Department team up to prevent house fires
- Fire destroys home in Sutherlin
- Sutherlin High School receives award
- Two-A-Days: Sutherlin Bulldogs
- Crash kills one near Sutherlin
- Wanted men arrested in Sutherlin
- Fire in Noti child's bedroom a reminder to check smoke detectors
- Sutherlin creates working group to discuss fire services