PORTLAND, Ore-- A Portland toddler is recovering tonight after her mother says she was scalded by water she received from the McDonald's in PDX.
The pictures tell the story. Emily Dolbeer and her four-year-old Lainey were heading to a vacation at Disneyland when she says their trip was ruined before it even began.
Dolbeer asked if the McDonald's at PDX could fill up her daughter’s sippie cup with water. However, it wasn’t until after Lainey took a sip that she realized the water was scalding hot.
"It was the most little, heart wrenching sound you've ever heard. I turn around and she is just the most inconsolable little human you've ever seen," said Dolbeer.
She says it only took five minutes for blisters and sores to develop on Lainey's mouth, tongue, and chest.
"(The water) was hotter than I would have drank coffee or tea or anything. It was absolutely burning," said Dolbeer.
She says they got pain management and are monitoring the situation the best they can, but her daughter hasn't been acting like herself and that it has been affecting her eating.
Dolbeer says that even after she told the employees what had happened they offered no support and no compassion for the situation.
She says she can't even wrap her head how this happened.
"(The cup) is a thermo, but it's covered in Disney princesses. Like why would you even think to put scalding water in a child's water bottle?" asked Dolbeer.
However she does say Lainey has had a little distraction while she heals.
"I think the fact that we are at the happiest place on earth is the best distraction for her. We actually saw Pluto on the way home from dinner last night. He's one of her favorites so that put a little smile on her face." said Dolbeer.
She says she has received one call from McDonald's management, but that's not enough. She says she needs to see some action and not just for her situation.
"Something needs to be done because this negligence can just keep happening. I don't know if they need better training. Something needs to be done," she continued.
After posting about the situation on Facebook, Emily and Lainey received an outpouring of support.
KEZI reached out to the McDonald's location where this happened and they said they have no comment.
- Portland mother demands answers after toddler burned at airport
- 4-year-old burned by drink at Portland airport
- Airplane seat cameras: US senators demand answers
- Portland man gets 10 years in prison for toddler's death
- 'Mothers Demand Action' rally for gun reform
- Police: Luggage handler at Portland airport stole 6 guns
- Officials: Contagious kids with measles at Portland airport
- FBI fights Portland airport passenger over $121K in luggage
- Mother cited after toddler overdoses on pot candy
- Mother sues Portland State University over prescription drug death