Photo Gallery 8 Images
EUGENE, Ore. -- Police identified the suspect in a Eugene kidnapping as Luke Deitemeyer, 38, of Springfield. He faces charges of first-degree kidnapping, second-degree assault, eluding, reckless driving, reckless endangering and hit and run. Additional charges may be pending.
Investigators say Deitemeyer threatened a 19-year-old woman just after noon today with a knife before forcing her into his car near 8th Avenue and High Street and driving north on Oak Street.
Police attempted to stop Deitemeyer before he allegedly sped off. Eventually, two police motorcycle officers crashed into each other on the Delta Highway overpass over Beltline.
Officials say the two officers sustained non-life-threatening injuries.
Police say Deitemeyer was also involved in a hit and run, colliding with another vehicle.
Deitemeyer was taken into custody at 10th Avenue and Vine Street in Junction City. The victim, an adult female, suffered a deep cut to her left leg and was taken to a hospital.
Delta Highway northbound at Beltline was closed for several hours, officials said. All lanes reopened by about 4:30 p.m. on Friday.
The major collision investigations team is investigating.
Multiple agencies went on the lookout for the suspect vehicle, including Eugene police, Lane County Sheriff's Office, Junction City Police and Springfield Police.
"Absolutely no threat to the public whatsoever. Junction City residents are entirely safe, this incident was contained to this specific location and at no time was anyone in danger or jeopardy," Junction City Chief Bob Morris said.
Stay with KEZI 9 News for updates.
- Suspect identified in Eugene kidnapping
- UPDATE: Eugene police arrest, identify robbery suspects
- Deputies identify suspect in Eugene shooting
- Suspect identified in stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- 17-year-old suspect in Eugene shooting identified, charged as adult
- Second suspect identified in Eugene officer-involved shooting
- Deputies seek public's help identifying suspects in Eugene theft
- Winston Police searching for attempted kidnapping suspect
- Eugene Police seek tips on attempted carjacking, attempted kidnapping incidents
- Police: Report of kidnapping attempt in Eugene was false