SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Police suspect LSD contributed to the death of a 13-year-old teenager. They've arrested five people on drug charges in connection to it.
Springfield Police said they were called out to a home on the 600 block of 54th Street at around 7:30 Friday morning. They discovered a a teenager unresponsive in a camp trailer parked at the home.
Eugene/Springfield Fire responded and pronounced the boy deceased.
Springfield Police and the State Medical Examiner launched an investigation into the death and determined illegal drug use was a probable factor in the boy's death.
They said drugs were recovered at the scene. Police suspect the drug to be LSD.
Police said three other teens who had left the scene were arrested on Possession & Delivery of a Controlled Substance and lodged at Lane County Youth Services.
Springfield Police detectives continued their investigation into the source of the illegal drugs obtained by the teenagers. They served a search warrant in Eugene later on in the day, where they arrested a fourth teen and seized suspected LSD and Marijuana. That juvenile was also lodged at Lane County Youth Services for Possession & Delivery of a Controlled Substance.
Springfield Police detectives arrested Kevin Michael Harris in connection with this case. They said he was found to be in possession of a large amount of suspected LSD.
The Drug Enforcement Agency was notified of the circumstances surrounding this entire case and a Federal Offense Hold was placed on Harris. He was lodged at the Lane County Jail.
The investigation is continuing and additional arrests and charges may come later.
- Police suspect LSD contributed to death of Springfield teen
- Escaped teen caught by Springfield police
- Springfield police investigating death of 13-year-old
- Springfield police investigate foster child's death
- Springfield police arrest rape suspect in Eugene
- Springfield police chase suspect to Eugene neighborhood
- Oregon author contributes to #MeToo movement
- Search for missing Springfield teen continues
- Springfield teen arrested after threatening Snapchat post
- Deputies: Springfield teen shot other teen while recording video