PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland Police said they've made a second arrest from old rape kits.
Police said they arrested Jihad Moore, 66, on rape and sodomy charges stemming from a 1996 case.
Prosecutors tested several kit to see if the DNA matched anyone who was already on file from the justice system. So far, two kits have led to two separate arrests.
Rebecca Morgan is a lawyer who helps survivors of domestic violence and assault.
"I hope that the message it sends to survivors is that the culture is shifting," she said. "People are paying attention, people are listening, people believe you and care about you and want you to be safe and want you to be healthy."
The detective in charge of Portland Police Cold Case Sex Unit said that the rape kits are helping them get results for old cases.
- Police say old rape kits lead to another arrest
- State audit finds progress on rape kit backlog
- Oregon rape kit backlog could be gone by end of 2018
- NCU student arrested on rape charges
- Salem man arrested for leading police on chase in Springfield
- Lane County deputies make arrest in rape case from 2007
- Convenience store robbery leads to arrest