EUGENE, Ore. -- Police broke a window and used pepper spray to draw out a suspect during a four-hour standoff Monday afternoon.
Ryan Alderfer, 29, was arrested and lodged at the Lane County Jail.
Just before 2 p.m. Eugene police responded to a dispute at an apartment in the 600 block of W. 4th Avenue. According to police, Alderfer had previously threatened another person with a hatchet.
Police said Alderfer came out of the apartment but then barricaded himself in a bathroom.
“We learned a little bit afterwards that he had also committed a crime, at which point we got permission to go inside. We did a lot of things to get in contact with him. We called. We talked to him. At one point, he stopped talking to us,” said Jennifer Bills a special operations commander.
With the help of SWAT and a crisis negation team, police took Alderfer into custody just after 8:30 p.m.
He faces charges of menacing and unlawful use of a weapon.
- Police draw out, arrest man after four-hour standoff
- Veneta man arrested after standoff with police
- Police arrest Springfield man after armed standoff
- Roseburg man arrested after standoff
- Suspect arrested after hours-long SWAT standoff in Eugene
- Roseburg man arrested after armed standoff
- Standoff suspect arrested by SWAT
- Armed standoff stretches into early morning hours in Saginaw
- Man suspected in mother's death arrested after standoff in Tualatin
- Stayton man arrested in father’s murder after standoff