EUGENE, Ore.-- A man armed with a knife threatened people inside a west Eugene home Friday night.
According to Eugene police, Timothy Allen Ross, 33, was possibly under the influence when he threatened other people with a knife on the 2000 block of E. Erwin Way sometime after 7:15 p.m.
Officials said the others in the house were unable to leave the building when first responders arrived. One 65-year-old victim was trapped after she ran upstairs and barricaded herself in a bathroom.
"I don't really think its safe in this area right now," said Jaden Simmons, neighbor and witness.
First responders forced their way into the house where they evacuated victims and confronted Ross, who ran behind a stairwell where he closed and barricaded a door as he threatened to shoot officers, according to police.
Crisis Negotiation and SWAT teams responded to negotiate with Ross, who minutes later left his hiding place, officials said.
According to authorities, when Ross saw police, he tried to escape upstairs where other officers were waiting. Ross was with his dog and tied a sheet between the dog's collar and his wrist. Officers tased Ross and the dog after it tried to attack them.
Neighbors in the area said these types of events were common on their street because of that particular house that Ross was in.
"It worries me for my safety, my fiance's safety, and all the kids in this neighborhood, and the families," said Simmons.
A large knife was found on the stairs where Ross tried to escape.
Ross was arrested and charged with menacing and unlawful use of a weapon.
- Police: Man threatens others with knife
- Police: Man threatened officers with bow and arrow, knife
- Former Marine knocks out man threatening neighbors with knife
- Man accused of threatening woman with knife in Coos Bay
- Lakeside robber threatens to 'stick' victim with knife
- Salem police arrest man after woman kidnapped at knife point
- Portland police shoot man armed with knife in downtown building
- Police arrest man accused of threatening OSU
- Police: Man sends threatening messages to Walmart employee, forcing lockdown
- Four killed in knife attack at Paris police headquarters