EUGENE, Ore. – A man was arrested, accused of stealing a vehicle, hitting a tree, and leading police on a chase north of Eugene on Wednesday.
Police responded to a report of a stolen vehicle just before 8 a.m. They said a white cargo van was parked on the corner of Noah and Cubit streets and was warming up when it was stolen.
Calin Bocock, 34, allegedly hit a tree as he drove off in the car and went through the grass for about 100 feet before continuing onto Barger Drive. Police said he drove through a school zone and continued down Green Hill Road toward the airport.
The owner of the vehicle followed it for a short time until police were able to catch up.
Officer David Clark said officers eventually stopped pursuing because they believed Bocock's erratic driving was putting the public in danger.
"A detective in an unmarked vehicle was just keeping an eye on the vehicle but once we actually caught up to the vehicle and activated our lights and siren, the vehicle took off at a high rate of speed at that point," Clark said.
The vehicle was spotted again on West Enid Road.
Southbound officers from Junction City continued to pursue the van, and they were able to locate the it parked outside Rest Assured Pet Cremation on Highway 99. Police said Bocock was arrested nearby in a gated area.
Bocock faces charges of unauthorized use of a vehicle, reckless driving, eluding in a vehicle, hit-and-run, driving while suspended and possession of a schedule four drug.
The Eugene Police Department thanked the Lane County Sheriff’s Office and Oregon State Police for their help.
- Man steals van, hits tree, leads officers on chase, police say
- Police: Suspect leads officers on chase, crashes into parked car
- Salem man arrested for leading police on chase in Springfield
- Police: Car catches fire as homeless man leads officers on chase
- Man taken to hospital after being hit by van
- Woman arrested in garden center parking lot for stealing van
- Police chase leads to armed standoff in Sweet Home
- Police chase leads to two arrests in Coos Bay
- Man arrested after police chase in Springfield
- Man arrested after police chase in Eugene