EUGENE, Ore. -- A small jewelry shop in Eugene is out more than $20,000. It's the latest to be hit by an organized crime group of eight women.
Eugene Police believe this is part of a national crime spree committed by Romanian travelers.
Detective Rick Lowe said this group hits jewelry stores across the United States. There' no surveillance video of the crime in Eugene available, but he says this video shows exactly what happened at a jewelry store off of Coburg Road.
On Monday, at about 1:15 p.m., Lowe said eight women dressed in shawls, head scarves and baggy dresses walked into the store. He said one woman was holding a baby.
He said they worked together to distract the employee, while a one or two went into the backroom and stole rings, earrings and necklaces from the safe.
Some of the jewelry stolen belonged to clients who brought it in for repair.
"It's a sensitive situation for the victims...that's why we've withheld the name of the store, so they can make notifications themselves," said Lowe. The worth of the jewelry stolen is estimated between $20,000 and $50,000.
He said the group even made a purchase during the 10 minutes this all went down: “They used cash and spent about $300 on a set of earrings, which would also lead you to believe you had some paying customers in the store."
Police believe that suspects may have canvassed other area stores prior to this. If you have information or surveillance footage they said to call them at (541) 682-5573.
- Police: Eight women steal thousands from jewelry store
- Albany woman accused of stealing thousands from employer
- Police: Clerk reports being robbed at gunpoint after stealing from store
- Thousands join the Women’s March for Action
- Thieves steal thousands of dollars in goods from Eugene gas station
- Fred Meyer employee found guilty of stealing $230K from Portland store
- Police: Masked man steals SUV, faces attempted murder charge
- Police Searching for Someone Who is Quite Literally Stealing Christmas
- Police use Taser on man suspected of stealing headphones
- Thousands participate in Eugene Marathon