EUGENE, Ore. -- There could soon be more passenger trains running between Portland and Eugene.
The state unveiled a draft plan last week about adding to Amtrak's services.
The proposal could cost up to one billion dollars.
According to the plan, as the population and economy grows, so does the demand for travel.
Eugene resident Christian Ives, who travels to Portland often, said more trains would be beneficial for the community.
"I think it's great they're adding more routes,'' Ives said. "I think two routes is great, but I think just to get more of those options for travel is definitely going to help a lot of people. It's definitely going to help me for sure."
A final plan is expected to be approved in 2019
- Proposal would add more Amtrak trains
- Amtrak train was speeding significantly before crash
- Expert weighs in on Amtrak train derailment
- Stranded Amtrak train passengers arrive in Eugene
- Amtrak train collides with RV in Springfield
- Three confirmed dead in Amtrak train derailment in Washington
- Two rail advocates killed in Amtrak train derailment
- Urgent plea for blood donations after Amtrak train derailment
- Bicyclist killed when struck by Amtrak train in Salem
- A man was killed after he was struck by an Amtrak train