SUTHERLIN, Ore. -- Plans to build a resort off Interstate 5 in Sutherlin are no more, the Douglas County Board of Commissioners said.
County officials said they initially sold the 126.21 acres of property to Oregon Only Development, who had plans to complete the Oregon Only Resort by 2021.
The county has owned the property near Taylor Road and Page Street since 1991. They sold the property for $1.2 million in August 2018.
Officials said the developer failed to meet construction and payment deadlines in order to proceed with the project. The county extended the deadline twice in 2018, they said. In March 2019, both parties signed another “option to purchase” agreement with a deadline that ended Monday, the county said.
Since then, officials said the developer never asked for another extension and has expressed that they no longer want to pursue the project.
"We needed something fun for the kids, but we needed more economy (because) we need more money,” said Beth Schultz, a Douglas County resident. “It would've been more jobs. It would've been a great thing."
Officials said they are “incredibly sad” the project is no longer happening because they expected the project would have brought tourism, commerce and more employment to Douglas County.
- Plans for Sutherlin resort canceled, county says
- Developer buys county land in Sutherlin, plans to build resort
- Sutherlin High School receives award
- Fire destroys home in Sutherlin
- Two-A-Days: Sutherlin Bulldogs
- Crash kills one near Sutherlin
- Wanted men arrested in Sutherlin
- Sutherlin credit union robbed Friday night
- Students surprise Sutherlin Police with handmade card
- Sutherlin holding community forum on school bond