EUGENE, Ore. -- A Lane Transit District bus hit a pedestrian on West 7th Avenue Friday morning, sending the man to the hospital, police said.
The crash happened between Jefferson and Washington streets at about 8:45 a.m.
On surveillance footage, the man appears to lie down in the path of the approaching EmX bus.
Police said the bus driver stopped and called for assistance. The man was taken to Riverbend Hospital with serious injuries. His identity is not known at this time.
"Mostly he was in shock," one witness said. "Bloody in the face, trying to get up and walk like nothing happened."
LTD bus struck a pedestrian on W 7th & Washington earlier this morning. Man was transported to Riverbend with injuries. Stay with KEZI for updates pic.twitter.com/V9UUen2R1m
— EmJ (@EmmaJerome) March 8, 2019
"LTD takes all accidents seriously and will investigate this fully," Assistant General Manager Mark Johnson said. "Our thoughts are wtih the pedestrian, EmX driver, passengers and all others involved in this accident. We are thankful for EPD's and ESFD's quick response."
Police are on scene conducting an investigation. West 7th Avenue was closed following the crash, slowing down traffic exiting off Interstate 105. As of 11 a.m., traffic was moving through the area, but the bus remained stopped in the bus lane.
A spokesperson with LTD said service on the route is operating on a regular schedule. Buses are following the flow of traffic around the scene while police and LTD investigate.
- Pedestrian hit by Lane Transit District bus in Eugene
- Lane Transit District launches Transit Tomorrow
- Lane Transit District fall schedule changes start this weekend
- Pedestrian hit in Eugene crash dies
- Train kills pedestrian in downtown Eugene
- Neighbors remember pedestrian killed in Eugene
- Two pedestrians injured in Eugene crash identified
- Flu season hits Lane County
- Pedestrian hit and killed in Albany
- Pedestrian hit by car on Royal Ave