SPRINGFIELD, Ore – An investigation is underway in Springfield after a charter school director was suddenly placed on leave. The incident is already having an impact on prospective students.
KEZI spoke with a mother of an 8th grader on Thursday. She said her daughter has been looking forward to going to the Academy of Arts and Academics for quite some time, but after this incident, she's on the fence.
The charter school was put on a modified lockdown on Wednesday.
In an email sent out to parents, the assistant superintendent of the Springfield School District said the director, Michael Fisher, was put on leave because of "concerns related to conduct."
The email doesn't go into specifics but it does state that Kevin Ricker will act as director in his place.
KEZI spoke with Rebecca Middleton, a prospective parent, who said she was excited for her daughter to attend this school, but now she's not so sure.
“I'm really just on the fence now about it and I really want her to be happy but I also want her to be safe as well,” Middleton said.
Middleton said her daughter Mia attends Thurston Middle School and she has been working hard to get into A3. They said this has put a damper on plans to send Mia to the school, but Mia’s dealt with a similar situation before.
“The school I’m going to now we've had the same kind of situation happen with a teacher having to leave for the same circumstances, if not more of that and I still went back knowing he wouldn't have been there,” said Mia Mendoza, a prospective student. “I feel that I still would have gone to this high school knowing the person wouldn't be there so I wouldn't have a chance or risking myself being unsafe there.”
- Parents wary of Springfield school during investigation
- Springfield parents welcome identical triplets
- Springfield fire under investigation
- Springfield police investigate suspicious device
- Director of Springfield school commits suicide, investigation will continue
- Springfield school shooter loses appeal
- Springfield School District superintendent leaving
- Officials investigating fatal car crash in Springfield
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Springfield principal
- Police investigate fatal crash in Springfield