PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- An Oregon man has been sentenced to three years of probation for illegally using the state benefits card of a man who died.
KPTV-TV reports 53-year-old Michael Mahoney pleaded guilty to identity theft and unlawfully using a food stamp benefit.
Multnomah County prosecutors say Mahoney found James Bland dead in November 2017 and did not report the death to authorities or the man's family. They say he stole his friend's wallet and used his Oregon Trail card to make fraudulent purchases.
Portland police found Bland dead inside his home about two weeks later. Authorities say he died of natural causes.
Mahoney was also ordered to pay more than $150 in restitution to the state Department of Human Services and more than $360 to Bland's family.
- Oregon man sentenced for fraudulently using benefits card
- Roseburg man jailed after 65 fraudulent charges
- Man sentenced for sexually abusing Oregon girl
- Oregon man guilty of stealing benefits from missing mother
- Oregon man sentenced to prison for attack on deputy
- Oregon man sentenced to prison for 2016 attack on prostitute
- Oregon man sentenced for intimidation of Muslim couple
- Oregon man sentenced in abuse case of 5-month-old child
- Oregon man gets life sentence in deadly Salem shooting
- Oregon man who police say touched girls at stores sentenced