HILLSBORO, Ore. (AP) -- An Oregon man has been charged with murder in the death of his 77-year-old father.
The Washington County Sheriff's Office says 53-year-old Shaun Maki reported in March that his father was suffering from self-inflicted injuries inside the home they shared.
The critically injured father, Melvin Maki, died three months later at a hospital.
The sheriff's office says detectives believe Shaun Maki beat his father with a wooden shovel handle and then waited to call 9-1-1.
In addition to murder, a grand jury Wednesday indicted Maki on charges of assault, criminal mistreatment and unlawful use of a weapon. He is being held without bail at the Washington County Jail.
Before his father's death, Maki pleaded not guilty to attempted murder. He has yet to enter a plea on the new charge.
- Oregon man accused of murder in beating of elderly father
- Roseburg man accused of assaulting elderly woman
- Medford man admits to fatally beating girlfriend's father
- Elderly man dies in boating accident
- Willamalane lifeguards rescue elderly man from pool
- Stayton man arrested in father’s murder after standoff
- Oregon man arrested in 1994 Vancouver murder
- Florence man accused of murdering mother
- Arizona woman accused of killing Oregon man
- Corvallis couple accused of mistreating, stealing from elderly woman