PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Oregon Heath & Science University reversed course and will put an undocumented immigrant on its waiting list for a liver transplant.
The Portland hospital informed 46-year-old Silvia Lesama-Santos on Monday that she was ineligible because she lacked "lawful permanent residence or immigration documentation."
The hospital changed its decision Tuesday night after the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon informed media outlets about the woman's plight and started an online petition.
In a statement, OHSU said its leaders had been unaware of the "archaic" policy, and it has been terminated.
The ACLU says Lesama-Santos has lived in the Portland area for three decades. The mother of four has health insurance through her husband's employer.
- Oregon hospital puts undocumented woman on transplant list
- Albany woman receives long-awaited heart transplant
- ICE blames Oregon county for releasing undocumented man before murder
- Oregon may grant driving privileges to undocumented immigrants
- Oregon advances bill allowing undocumented immigrants to drive
- Oregon will allow undocumented immigrants to get licenses
- OHSU approved to resume heart transplant program
- Oregon hospital removes gender identification from bracelets
- Oregon State football putting more emphasis on quarterback protection
- Bioblitzes on Oregon Coast put focus on marine wildlife