CORVALLIS, Ore. – For the first time since week six in 2016, the Oregon State Beavers' softball team is ranked in the USA Today poll.
The Beavs are off to a 12-2 start and are ranked 25th, heading into this weekend where they'll compete in the University of Oklahoma Tournament. OSU will play two double-headers on Friday and Saturday, taking on Oklahoma and Louisana. The Sooners are the 4th ranked team in the nation, while the Rajin Cajuns are ranked 11th.
Despite the successful start and the ranking, this weekend will be the first true test for the Beavers to prove their belong among the top teams in the sport.
Outfielder, Jessica Garcia said, "Coach Berg has always told us to make a lot of noise. and I think with this team we can make a lot of noise, and even keep going up in the rankings. We just have to have the same mentality and keep dominating these teams, even more than we have in the past tournament. So i think it's something that's going to keep building."
This season OSU has six seniors on the roster including leaders Garcia and Shelby Weeks, but the Beavs have already seen a big contribution from their freshman class.
"I think what has helped these guys is just a lot of hardwork that they've put into it. They've got a chip on their shoulder, they want to show everyone that we've got a lot to prove, and that they're very good. They're very good."
After the University of Oklahoma Tournament, Oregon State will travel to Los Angeles to compete in the LMU Tournament.
- Oregon State softball ranked number 23
- OHSU is ranked the number one hospital in Oregon
- Oregon State has record number of graduates
- Oregon State Police creates new phone number
- Eugene ranks worst in Oregon for number of reported hate crimes
- Oregon State Beavers to take on Number 1 seed
- Oregon State Softball swept by No. 2 UCLA
- Oregon softball hopes to finish strong vs. Arizona State
- Oregon softball drops first series game vs. Arizona State
- Report: Record number of wolves in Oregon