VENETA, Ore. -- This year will be the Oregon Country Fair's 50th year, and while some in the community are excited for what’s to come, others are dreading the problems they say it creates every year.
Veneta resident Ben Flott lives three properties away from where the fair takes place.
"The noise does not stop," Flott said. "It continues late into the night, and you get that three or four nights in a row, then by the time the fair's over, you’re just like exhausted.”
Flott said the traffic jams and leftover trash are also huge issues that it creates for the community.
Organizers said they’re working to address all the issues community members pointed out in the Lane County Board of Commissioners meeting on Tuesday in an effort to make it an enjoyable event for everyone.
Assistant Manager Stephanie Talbott said they are tackling the problems.
“We’re talking with (the Oregon Department of Transportation) to see if we can load our volunteers in on Highway 26 instead of on the road," Talbott said. "We're also working on different traffic patterns.”
We're also working with the neighborhood campgrounds -- that if they choose to have entertainment in the evening -- to help them identify you know when they're going to be within compliance with the county regulations."
Many community members told KEZI 9 News they enjoy the fair because of the business it brings to the community.
"I think it's really good for the businesses here the businesses in Veneta, and I know the little Hilltop Market on the corner all do a lot of business because of the fair, so I would hate to see them lose the business,” resident Judy Westbrook said.
- Noise, traffic, trash: Oregon Country Fair sparks complaints
- Oregon Country Fair kicks off 49th year
- Oregon Country Fair to attract record crowds
- Oregon Country Fair breaks attendance records
- Oregon Country Fair takes steps to help environment
- Oregon Country Fair works to improve cell service
- Oregon Country Fair kicks off Friday near Veneta
- Oregon Country Fair cleans up, gets ready for 50th celebration
- Lane County commissioners looking into Oregon Country Fair concerns
- Oregon Country Fair patrols yield multiple arrests, citations and more