EUGENE, Ore. -- A woman is in critical condition at a Springfield hospital after police say her boyfriend stabbed her.
Police responded to the 5400 block of Wales Drive at about 3:15 a.m. Friday after receiving a report that a woman was being stabbed.
Police said a female relative, who neighbors later identified as the victim's mother, had barricaded herself inside an upstairs bedroom with a young child.
Christopher Hampton, 43, was arrested in front of the home, police said.
The man's girlfriend, a 44-year-old woman, was found inside the home. They said she had suffered multiple stab wounds.
Neighbors told KEZI 9 News the people involved in the stabbing have only lived in the home on Wales Drive for about a year. But in that short time, they made a good impression on those around them.
Paul Tallman lives right next door to the crime scene and learned about the stabbing from a neighbor. He said his interactions with the couple involved in the stabbing were always friendly.
"Very quiet, very pleasant. Always waving. The young boy was outside playing all the time. Giving halloween candy out at Halloween and brought us Christmas cookies last year," Tallman said.
Authorities said Hampton was taken to the Lane County Jail and was charged with first-degree assault.
Hampton is scheduled to be arraigned on Monday.
- Woman in critical condition after Eugene stabbing
- Umpqua woman dead, husband in critical condition after crash
- Stabbing suspect arrested in Eugene
- Police investigate stabbing in Eugene
- Eugene man hospitalized after stabbing
- Police search for stabbing suspects in Eugene
- Man stabbed during fight in downtown Eugene
- Man arrested after stabbing in Eugene
- Man in critical condition after being shot by deputy
- Mutli-scene incident under investigation, one in critical condition