ROSEBURG, Ore. -- The school bus that made an illegal U-turn on an Interstate 5 on-ramp in Roseburg on Thursday was carrying one student, officials say.
Denny Austin, head of transportation for Roseburg Public Schools, said First Student Transportation Services is investigating and it's not in the hands of the district.
"It takes a very special person to sit with their back to 60 kids and then stay focused on what's happening on the road in front of them," Austin said.
KEZI 9 News has reached out to First Student with no response.
While Austin couldn't say much about the investigation, he said all of their buses have at least two surveillance cameras, so First Student can assess any unusual situations.
"Drivers are also people, so anything you see someone doing on the road, off the road or approaching the road could happen with a school bus," Austin said.
Parents are demanding the driver be fired calling the incident "negligent" and "unacceptable."
- 1 student was on bus that made illegal U-turn, officials say
- Eugene police holding illegal fireworks turn-in day
- Roseburg school bus makes U-turn on freeway on-ramp
- Officials seek four suspects in illegal taking of elk in Benton County
- Student arrested for threat made towards Joseph Lane Middle School
- Student in Douglas County arrested for threat made in January
- 'Artie the Art Bus' project teaches Springfield students about synesthesia
- Business owners & residents concerned about illegal camping
- Nurse sentenced for illegal opioid prescriptions
- Springfield resident turns 106