EUGENE, Ore. -- One person was taken to the hospital Monday morning after a report of a stabbing in Eugene.
Police responded to the Westfair apartment complex on West 15th Avenue around 4 a.m.
When they arrived, they encountered five people in the courtyard, including an individual with a knife and gun, who they initially thought was the suspect. Once officers had detained those individuals, they had to force their way into the building to get to the person who had been stabbed.
The victim was Steven Shaffer, 32, and investigators determined Shaffer had menaced his roommates out of the home using a handgun and was stabbed by a roommate during the incident. That roommate then wrestled the gun from Shaffer and left with his friends.
Officials said the person who stabbed Shaffer did so in self-defense.
Shaffer was arrested for unlawful use of a weapon, felon in possession of a firearm and menacing. He was admitted to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
- One person injured in stabbing incident in Eugene
- 1 person arrested, 1 person injured after fight in Eugene
- Sheriff's office seeks persons of interest in Eugene stabbing
- Police searching for person who stabbed dog in Eugene
- Man arrested after allegedly injuring 1 in Eugene stabbing
- 1 person injured in tent fire in Eugene
- Stabbing suspect arrested in Eugene
- Police investigate stabbing in Eugene
- Eugene man hospitalized after stabbing
- Eugene graffiti incident caught on surveillance camera