OAKRIDGE, Ore. - Oregon State Police are investigating a deadly crash on Highway 58.
Troopers said they received a call at 3:40 p.m. for a two-vehicle fatal crash on Highway 58 near milepost 57.
Investigators said Douglas Nelson of Troutdale, 35, was driving a Dodge pickup eastbound when he lost control of the car for an unknown reason and crossed into oncoming traffic.
Nelson's pickup crashed into a Honda CRV driving in the opposite direction. Ashley Russell of Veneta, 26, was the driver of that vehicle.
Russell was traveling with Zachary Heineman, 28, their seven-year-old son and 15-month old daughter. Their son died at the scene. The other three in the CRV were taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Nelson and his passenger, Erica Nelson of St. Helens, 30, were not hurt in the crash.
Troopers said Nelson is cooperating with the investigation. They said alcohol does not seem to be a factor in the crash. All drivers and passengers in both cars were properly restrained with seat belts and child safety/booster seats.
- Child killed in two-vehicle crash on Highway 58 near Oakridge
- Landslide closes Highway 58 near Oakridge
- Eugene man dies in two-vehicle crash on Highway 58
- ODOT allows drivers on Highway 58 to get to and from Oakridge
- Eugene man dies in crash on Highway 58
- Helicopter crashes in forest south of Oakridge
- Two-vehicle crash kills Albany woman on Highway 20
- Highway 58 opens as crews continue clearing roads
- Crews work to clear landslides from Highway 58
- Highway 58 opens as crews continue to clear landslide debris