OAKRIDGE, Ore. -- One person is dead after an officer-involved shooting Thursday night following a domestic dispute.
Oregon State Police said the Lane County Sheriff's Office responded to a domestic disturbance in the 76000 block of Rainbow Road. They said an officer with the Oakridge Police Department requested back up after reporting shots were being fired.
Troopers and deputies arrived and upon investigating, they found the suspect in the domestic disturbance was dead after being shot by the Oakridge officer.
The man who was killed has been identified as Marcus Hartsfield, 27, of Oakridge. Court records show that he was booked into the Lane County Jail on Oct. 8 on a fourth-degree assault (domestic violence) charge. Jail staff said he was released from custody on Oct. 16, one day before the shooting.
Ken Barbee said the shooting happened in front of his home, which shares the property with a garage that he said was converted into a house for a family.
Barbee said Hartsfield's family was living at the home and that Hartsfield snuck onto the property through the back fence and was armed with a knife. Barbee said Hartsfield was threatening a teenage boy and girl on the property and was cutting himself. He said when an Oakridge police officer arrived, Hartsfield charged at him with the knife, and the officer fired.
"I could see they were testing the officer, making sure he was mentally all there," Barbee said. "It was interesting. They did what they were supposed to do."
Oregon State Police said the officer was not injured. They said the officer is on administrative leave, the standard practice after an officer-involved shooting. The officer's name has not been released at this time.
Additional assistance was provided at the scene by Oakridge Fire, the Lane County Medical Examiner’s Office and the Lane County District Attorney’s Office.
Oregon State Police said this is an ongoing investigation.
- Police identify man killed in officer-involved shooting in Oakridge
- Man killed in Portland officer-involved shooting identified
- Authorities identify man killed in Eagle Point officer-involved shooting
- Suspect in Springfield officer-involved shooting identified
- Man who died in Oakridge fire is identified
- Friends remember Cottage Grove man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Eugene Police confirm officer-involved shooting
- Suspect identified in stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Second suspect identified in Eugene officer-involved shooting
- ‘He would have killed me’: DA rules Oakridge officer was justified in shooting