Eugene, Ore. -- Jeff White has been the North Eugene Highlander's football scoreboard operator for the past 16 years.
He took on the position when his signed played linebacker at North Eugene High School in 2002.
"Operating the scoreboard is not hard to do, but so many people are afraid to make a mistake," said White. "But you know everybody is human. You know you just do the best you can, and after a couple of years you got it down packed."
A former high-school offensive and defensive lineman at his alma mater, Churchill High School, White said there's nothing like the atmosphere inside of the stadium on game day.
White said, "Football is my true love, it's my passion. I mean you go to a Friday night game and the community comes together. The fans are there, the students are there, the bands there, cheerleaders are there."
However, back in March of 2018, he was rear ended and seriously injured by a semi truck.
"I didn't have no idea what happened, I thought maybe the world ended or something," said White. "Cause I never saw him coming in my mirror and he just hit me full blast."
White said at the time of his accident he blacked out, but when he came to all he could think about was his two children. He said he suffered multiple concussions due to the accident, and cannot receive two surgeries he needs until he recovers. White has been mainly homebound since the accident, having to depend on other's to transport him to and from. However, riding in a car is also a challenge for him due to PTSD he has from the crash.
White is going through physical therapy while he tries to recover. Fortunately, North Eugene's athletic director has informed him that he may return to his scoreboard duties when he has fully recovered and is ready.
- North Eugene's man behind the numbers
- Eugene man arrested in North Bend for allegedly stealing car
- North Eugene High School celebrates Decision Day
- Blitzing the Preseason: North Eugene Highlanders
- PHOTO GALLERY: Churchill beats North Eugene
- Eugene ranks worst in Oregon for number of reported hate crimes
- Halloween 2018 by the numbers
- Eugene man allegedly rear-ends detective
- Eugene man arrested on charges of extortion
- Virginia man's bike stolen at Eugene Safeway