NORTH BEND, Ore. -- No charges will be filed against the 18-year-old who killed his mother’s ex-boyfriend on Jan. 23, Coos County District Attorney Paul Frasier said.
Authorities said the woman’s son Anthony Calderon stabbed Eric Woodworth, 39, in the chest after Woodworth kicked in the front door and charged the woman. The death has been ruled a justifiable homicide, as Frasier said the teenager acted in defense of his mother’s life.
The teen’s girlfriend and 10-month-old child were also living at the residence in the 93000 block of White Lane, and the 10-year-old son of the woman's boyfriend was visiting.
An autopsy revealed that Woodworth was on drugs when the incident happened.
Frasier said Woodworth was upset over his breakup with the woman and tracked down the car she had driven when they were together, which had been returned to her mother. The morning of the incident, Woodworth confronted the woman’s parents, who told him she was not living with them but eventually told him where to find her.
At about 6 a.m., Woodworth arrived at the home, pounding on the door and shouting demands to see his former girlfriend. Calderon armed himself with a knife, believing that Woodworth intended to hurt someone in the house, Frasier said. After Woodworth broke down the door and moved toward the woman, Calderon stood between the two and Woodworth was stabbed in the struggle.
Frasier said the physical evidence at the scene supports the witness statements they received about the incident.
- North Bend teen who killed mom's ex was justified, DA says
- DA: Bend mom who shot disabled son tried overdose
- DA: Bend driver killed self during traffic stop
- Five teens injured in North Bend crash
- DA: Officers justified in Coos Bay officer-involved shooting
- DA: Officer-involved shooting at Cascade Middle School was justified
- DA: Sheriff’s sergeant justified in shooting Cottage Grove man
- Teen hospitalized after being struck by vehicle in North Bend
- North Bend woman killed in crash on Highway 101
- North Bend woman killed; estranged husband charged with murder