NORTH BEND, Ore. – The principal of North Bend High School is resigning amid allegations of discrimination against LGBTQ students.
Bill Lucero’s resignation is part of a settlement reached between the American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon and the district. The district will also commit to improving the climate for LGBTQ students.
The case involved two girls who were a couple and complained to the state education department that they suffered harassment at the school, not only from students but also from staff.
The ACLU of Oregon sent to The Associated Press copies of the agreements, signed by North Bend School District Superintendent Bill Yester and the complainants, Olivia Funk and Hailey Smith.
Mat dos Santos, legal director at the ACLU of Oregon, said it sends a clear message to everyone at the district: There are serious consequences if you break the law by discriminating against LGBTQ students or engaging in religious proselytization at public schools. Punishment for gay and straight students had included forced reading of the Bible.
- North Bend High principal resigns amid discrimination case
- A3 Vice Principal resigns
- Creswell High School Principal and Assistant Principal Resign
- North Bend School District responds to reassignment of high school principal
- Principal at Lebanon school resigns
- Charges dropped in Bend road-rage case
- Good samaritan returns North Bend woman's purse
- Five teens injured in North Bend crash
- Couple arrested in North Bend arson, burglary
- Poverty simulation coming to North Bend