JUNCTION CITY, Ore. -- The annual Waterfest Family Picnic was held at Richardson Park Campground at Fern Ridge Reservoir Friday.
It's an event that happens almost every summer, and it's put on by the nonprofit World Wheelchair Sports.
The event is an opportunity for people with physical disabilities to explore the adventures of boating. They were all fitted with life jackets and taken on a 30-minute trip across the lake.
"Number one, they get to leave their wheelchair on the dock and forget their worries and troubles for a while, get out on the water; the water is a great equalizer. It sort of makes everyone the same level," said Kevin Hansen, President of World Wheelchair Sports.
The boats were all volunteered by locals in the Eugene Yacht Club and the city of Eugene.
- Nonprofit hosts boating event for people with disabilities
- Eugene nonprofit hosts event to showcase rescue horses
- Local nonprofit hosts New Year's Eve fundraiser for youth
- Nonprofit hosts Heart of Country festival to raise community awareness
- KindTree hosts "Autism Rocks" event
- LTD offers RideSource programs for people with disabilities
- Lane County Sheriff's Office hosts hiring event
- Nonprofit addresses growing youth mental health crisis
- Nonprofit looking to buy Springfield restaurant
- How to verify a nonprofit on #GivingTuesday