Neighbors react to hours-long standoff in Eugene

Scott Edward Gardner, 53, was shot by police after allegedly firing a rifle following a standoff.

Posted: Apr 14, 2020 8:09 PM
Updated: Apr 14, 2020 8:17 PM

EUGENE, Ore. -- After a 12-hour standoff, neighbors at the Edgewood Townhouses in south Eugene are still processing what happened.

Scott Edward Gardner, 53, allegedly barricaded himself in one of the townhome units and opened fire on police. Residents in the complex on the 100 block of Westbrook Way had front row seats as the situation kept escalating.

Lois Wells lives in a unit nearby and said she was happy with how police were handling the situation.

"I opened the window because we could hear the loud speaker the whole time," Wells said. "We felt the police were very compassionate about how they were trying to deal with this man. I worried for him and his family because they involved the whole family to try and get him out."

Around midnight Tuesday, Gardner emerged from the townhome with a rifle in hand and was hit by return fire, police said. At last check, he is in the hospital and in medically stable condition.

Police said it started just before noon when officers responded to a townhouse after reports of a suspect refusing to leave a family member's home.

Gardner was reportedly armed and the EPD Crisis Negotiation Team and SWAT responded to the scene.

Police said he fired rounds from the townhouse and residents were told to shelter in place.

KEZI 9 News reporter Connor McCarthy said he heard multiple rounds of gunfire, flash bangs, and tear gas around 8:30 p.m.

Gardner was given emergency medical aid by officers and was then treated by Eugene Springfield Fire EMS and taken to a local hospital.

Lane County’s Interagency Deadly Force Investigation Team is now investigating the shooting.

Eugene Police Chief Chris Skinner released a statement about the stand off Tuesday morning that said:

"Certainly an incident like this is not what anyone -- police, neighbors, or involved parties -- would desire as an outcome. It was a prolonged, dynamic and dangerous situation that we had hoped could be resolved without any injury to the suspect. I’m concerned for those involved and those living nearby who felt at risk throughout this incident and am thankful there were not more people injured.”

Partly Cloudy
39° wxIcon
Hi: 44° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 39°
Partly Cloudy
39° wxIcon
Hi: 42° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 39°
45° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 45°
North Bend
51° wxIcon
Hi: 60° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 51°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner


Community Events