ROSEBURG, Ore. -- Neighbors in Roseburg are reacting after a two-week standoff between police and a father that ended in an arrest.
Neighbors told KEZI 9 News they were shocked to hear about the standoff between 42-year-old Stephen Cain and law enforcement.
RELATED: Roseburg man arrested after standoff
"He just honestly from afar seemed like a good dad and a good neighbor," neighbor Brittany Colkitt said.
"We can kind of understand where he's coming from, you know, he feels like he doesn't feel like he has any rights as a father here due to some things going on with his kid and the mother of the situation," neighbor Eunice Jones said.
Jones said she even warned Cain about going about the situation that way.
Negotiators said they started talking to Cain on March 4 when he refused to turn over his daughter. They said he barricaded himself inside and held his daughter captive. They said he made statements and threats against law enforcement if they tried to force their way inside.
Court documents show back in February, a doctor found Cain to be "impulsive" and said he "feels entitled enough to withhold the child or take the child out of the area."
Fast forward to this month when documents show Cain refused to turn the girl over to her mother, stating he was "concerned about the welfare of the child."
KEZI also found documents and pictures that show Cain indicated that all entrances to his home had been "rigged," threatening police to stay away.
Cain is being held at the Douglas County Jail and is facing charges of custodial interference and obstructing governmental or judicial administration.
- Neighbors react to 2-week standoff in Roseburg
- Roseburg man arrested after standoff
- Roseburg man arrested after armed standoff
- Neighbors concerned about malnourished cows near Roseburg
- Roseburg residents witness, react to I-5 shooting
- Neighbors react to proposed LTD bus station
- Neighbors react to stabbing, officer-involved shooting in Eugene
- Neighbors, victim react to possible hate crime in Junction City
- Neighbors react to deadly crash on Dillard road
- Neighbors react to violent assault in Eugene home