COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- A woman in Cottage Grove credits her life to her neighbor who she said rescued her after she was trapped in her garage for 28 hours during the winter storm.
As snow began to fall last Sunday night, Sherry Lawrence had just lost power and went out to her garage to grab a few things.
"I forgot to unlock the lock on the door so when it shut, it locked and i couldn't get out," Lawrence said.
She said she was trapped with nowhere to go. All she had were old coats to protect her from 20-degree temperatures. Lawrence said she was trapped with no food and no access to the important medications she needs to survive.
Lawrence said her son, who was out of town during the storm, asked police to do a welfare check, which they did. She said even though police performed the check, they didn't find her.
She also said she couldn't get out of the garage because the safety latch became loose and fell off. She also tried to go around back and get out through a gate on the side of her home, but the snow had already piled up too high.
Lawrence's son asked her neighbor Tracy Quigley to check on her, and when she went by the house, she heard Lawrence crying out for help.
"I said, 'Sherry, is that you in there?'" Quiqley said. "She said, 'Yes. I'm stuck in the garage, and I've been here for two days.'"
These two neighbors who used to pass by and say hello are now tied together through a life-threatening experience they'll never forget.
"She means a lot to me," Lawrence said. "She's like my daughter now."
- Neighbor saves woman trapped in garage during snowstorm
- Oakridge woman gives birth during snowstorm
- Lane County snowstorm damage tops $17 million
- Garage fire displaces Eugene family
- Thousands without power after snowstorm hits Willamette Valley
- Lessons Learned: Snowstorm sheds light on disaster preparedness
- Eugene Public Works cleaning up debris after snowstorm
- Mount Pisgah still closed two weeks after snowstorm
- Bethel district announces make-up days due to snowstorm
- Lost Pacific Crest Trail hiker rescued in snowstorm