Photo Gallery 1 Images
ROSEBURG, Ore. - Almost $100,000 is coming to Douglas County schools. The grant is meant to help schools all over the county, but two that are specifically benefitting are Roseburg High School and Phoenix Charter School.
The money is meant for CTE programs, or Career and Technology Education. Programs like these prepare students for job options after high school.
The grant will be used to add more trade options to a summer camp. For example, this year they'll be adding an entrepreneurship element. The camp is not new and has been something students have very much enjoyed in the past.
The summer camp is aimed at middle school students heading into high school soon. Officials said they target middle schoolers because it's best to be giving them these skills at a young age. It also allows them to better decide among career courses when going into high school.
Douglas County's goals with these programs are mainly two things. The first is to ensure a good education and future to every possible student.
Secondly, they want to be training future prospect employees as soon as possible. Many ”We like to talk about the “grow our own” philosophy. And so that is really important so that we’re partnering with businesses and industries to prepare employees for the future," said Gwen Soderberg-Chase, the director of Douglas County Partners for Student Success.
Soderberg-Chase said she's seen these programs grow so much already, and she's received so much positive feedback from parents and participants.
She said she's looking forward to seeing how it continues to impact students' lives.
- Nearly $100,000 will bring more CTE programs to Douglas County
- Skilled To Work: Bethel School District CTE Programs
- Governor Brown tours growing Junction City CTE programs
- Skilled to Work: School districts discuss benefits of CTE programs
- North Douglas County Fire brings fire safety to Yoncalla Elementary
- Man brings gun into the Douglas County Justice Building
- Douglas County ends recycling services
- Gunfire exchanged in Douglas County
- Oregon Connections Academy students explore CTE opportunities
- LBCC holds annual CTE signing day