MYRTLE CREEK, Ore. -- A Myrtle Creek police officer has been arrested for alleged child sex abuse.
Alexander Salterio, 33, was arrested on Feb. 8 and has been charged with 17 felonies.
KEZI 9 News reached out to Myrtle Creek Police Chief Don Brown for comment, but he hasn't responded. Other officials with the police department said Salterio is no longer with the department.
According to court documents, Salterio allegedly talked to underage girls on Facebook, pretending to be a teenage boy to convince them he was under 18 as well.
They allege that Salterio not only contacted the girls at his home Roseburg but also at the Myrtle Creek Police Department.
Salterio would allegedly convince them to send him explicit photos and exchange sexual videos. All of the girls were under the age of 17, including one 13-year-old and one under the age of 12. Court documents also allege that he would threaten to share the images of the girls if they didn't send him more.
"It's terrifying," Myrtle Creek resident Jenny Rabern said. "It's such a small community and someone that you trust so much would sink to something so deplorable."
Salterio has been booked in the Douglas County Jail and as of Tuesday night hasn't posted bail.
Myrtle Creek resident Thomas Witt has a 13-year-old daughter, and after hearing about the allegations, he said he's putting his foot down when it comes to social media.
"It makes we want to take any electronic device away from my kid so she has no control to social media," Witt said. "Because if a cop can do that that easily, what else can they do?"
Court documents said this is an ongoing investigation and officials anticipate that there are a large number of additional victims.
To read the full probable cause affidavit, click here.
- Myrtle Creek police officer charged with child sex abuse
- Former Myrtle Creek officer gets more than 30 years for child sex abuse
- Fire destroys mobile home in Myrtle Creek
- 4 people arrested on drug charges in Myrtle Creek
- First electric vehicle charging station installed in Myrtle Creek
- Myrtle Point shooting suspect charged
- Tangent man arrested on multiple child sex abuse charges
- Former foster parent faces child sex abuse charges
- Lebanon man accused of child sex abuse
- Myrtle Creek moves forward with Urban Renewal District plans