SALEM, Ore. (AP) -- The mother of a slain woman and her toddler is suing the man accused in their deaths for $2 million.
The Statesman Journal reports the wrongful death lawsuit was filed against Michael John Wolfe in late August by Nyla Bales.
Michael John Wolfe
Wolfe has been charged with the aggravated murder and kidnapping of 25-year-old Karissa Fretwell and 3-year-old Billy Fretwell. Wolfe was Billy Fretwell's biological father, and he had recently been ordered to pay child support.
Bales in the suit is asking for money for the loss of the companionship of her daughter and for the pain and suffering Fretwell endured before her death. The suit also seeks $1 million from Wolfe and his wife alleging that Wolfe fraudulently transferred the bulk of his assets to her.
Wolfe remains in jail and has not entered a plea but in police interviews has denied involvement in the deaths.
- Mother of murdered woman sues accused man for $2 million
- Florence man accused of murdering mother
- Man found guilty of murdering Springfield mother
- Mother sues school district, claims aide assaulted son
- Mother sues Portland State University over prescription drug death
- Woman sues Eugene doctor for malpractice
- New trial begins for man accused of killing Springfield mother
- Son charged with mother's murder claims insanity
- Arizona woman accused of killing Oregon man
- Roseburg man accused of assaulting elderly woman