STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Discarded match sparks fire in Sweet Home garage, officials say

Damage is estimated at $75,000.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 10:51 AM

SWEET HOME, Ore. – A match caused a garage to catch fire in Sweet Home, fire officials said.

Residents opened their garage door and found that it was on fire. They escaped uninjured and called 911.

More than a dozen firefighters responded to the 900 block of 2nd Avenue and put the fire out before it spread to the house.

Damage is estimated at $75,000, which includes damage to the garage and the loss of its contents. The home also sustained significant smoke damage.

A deputy from the Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Office investigated. The fire was determined to have been caused my a match that was discarded into a pile of clothing, officials said.

Article Comments

Eugene
Few Clouds
72° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 72°
Corvallis
Clear
77° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 78°
Roseburg
Clear
76° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 76°
North Bend
Clear
54° wxIcon
Hi: 57° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 54°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events