PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- A 53-year-old man who beat, choked and forced his girlfriend to have sex over several days while she was trapped in his trailer on the Umatilla Indian Reservation will serve more than five years in federal prison.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports U.S. District Judge Robert E. Jones sentenced Don Lovell Thursday to five years and four months in prison after hearing testimony from the victim, a tribal police officer and an FBI agent.
The woman described how Lovell held her down by her throat and slammed her in the head with a heavy-duty flashlight at least twice.
Lovell pleaded guilty to assault and strangulation.
The victim escaped Jan. 3 after Lovell left the trailer to go work. She tried to walk in to her brother's home more than 10 miles away.
She made it to an off-duty officer's home, who called tribal police.
- Man who beat woman on Umatilla reservation gets prison
- Man who shot, killed partygoer on Umatilla reservation gets 25 years
- Umatilla sheriff investigating Eastern Oregon cattle deaths
- Olympic National Park to launch online permit reservations
- Man who beat girlfriend gets more than 4 years in prison
- Man sentenced to prison for 2011 rape
- Man and woman get 10 years in prison for delivering meth
- Oregon woman sentenced to prison for fraud, theft
- Woman who stole car with baby inside gets prison
- Man who entered stranger's party naked sentenced to prison