EUGENE, Ore. – A family had its fun cut short Halloween night after finding a gun while they were trick or treating.
Daniel James said he was out with his family along Goodpasture Loop when they found what appeared to be a gun laying in the grass
James said he saw an eleven-year-old pick up the gun around 7 p.m. The child then put it back down, and that’s when James said he called police. Dispatch told him to stay put until an officer arrived. James said he waited for 30 minutes and no one showed up. So he called again, and dispatch told him he was free to go and to leave the gun there.
James said he wasn't going to leave it there with children walking around. So he picked it up and took it to the Eugene Police Department.
He said he waited another 30 minutes there and no one addressed his concerns. James said he took a good look at what he thought was the gun when he got home. He realized it was a pellet gun because of its orange tip and labeling.
However, James said if it got in the wrong hands it could have been very scary.
"It could have killed myself, my wife, my daughter, anyone and their party," said James.
Melinda McLaughlin with the Eugene Police Department said between six and ten Tuesday night there were nearly 70 calls for service. She said officers prioritize calls based on the need for service. McLaughlin said crews were dispatched to the scene around 8:15 p.m., but were told James had already returned home.
James said police plan on picking up the pellet gun at his home by the end of the week.
- Man upset over police response to gun found while trick or treating
- TRICK OR TREAT: List of Halloween events Wednesday
- Woman makes custom trick-or-treat bags for kids with special needs
- Man goes from treating bullet wounds to treating toothaches
- PenFed employees upset about relocation
- Police: Missing man found dead on shoreline
- Overcoming opioids and treating newborns
- Man upset over bills accused of trying to suffocate roommate
- Eugene man treated for smoke inhalation after house fire
- Oregon upsets no. 11 ASU in Tmpe