Man escapes house fire in Coos Bay

A Coos Bay resident is left to pay $3,000 in damages after his home caught fire Monday morning.

Posted: Feb 19, 2018 5:29 PM

COOS BAY, Ore. -- A man was able to escape a house fire in Coos Bay on Monday.

Firefighters in Coos Bay were called out to a fire on the 500 block of 10th Avenue at 9:10 a.m. They said smoke was coming from the roof of a two-story house.

They said the fire started in an exterior eave before spreading to the attic.

Fire crews said the wood stove in the home had been installed illegally and vented out of the window. The chimney pipe was too close to combustible materials which allowed the heat to follow directly onto the eave.

One man was inside the home when it caught fire. He was able to make it out of the home and was taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The damage is estimated at $3,000. The resident told officials that he didn't have insurance on the home.

Article Comments

Eugene
Broken Clouds
56° wxIcon
Hi: 62° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 56°
Corvallis
Overcast
57° wxIcon
Hi: 64° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 57°
Roseburg
Scattered Clouds
54° wxIcon
Hi: 66° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 54°
North Bend
Scattered Clouds
57° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 57°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events