EUGENE, Ore. – A Eugene marijuana producer is putting a twist on Halloween this year with an event called Tokes ‘N’ Treats.
Organizers said this is an event unique to Eugene. Marijuana dispensaries in the area are offering a month-long passport program leading up to a Halloween bash at the HiFi Music Hall in downtown Eugene.
It’s an event aimed at bringing the community together for Halloween through cannabis.
You can go to any of the 14 participating dispensaries with a passport that you can pick up at any of the shops.
When you make a purchase, you get a stamp that allows you to win prizes.
"Even if you don't talk to your neighbors on a day to day basis or throughout the year, Halloween is the day that you will go to their door and have that interaction with them so I think it's really fun to be a part of an event that's so community focused,” said Chelsea Hopkins, owner of The Greener Side, one of the dispensaaies in Eugene participating in the program.
Anna Caplan, co-founder and CEO of Sugartop Buddery, said they started with only six dispensaries in 2016 and it grew from there.
"We upped the game to 12 dispensaries last year and this year we now have 14 dispensaries involved as well as 9 different brands," Caplan said. "So, this way we're bringing not only dispensaries but cannabis brands, all mostly locally based in the area."
Hopkins says last year, her store saw 10-15 people come in for stamps each day.
"It's really fun, you know, it's something that I've noticed a lot of people get together with their friends to participate which makes it that much more fun," Hopkins said. "They tell us their experiences that they've had in other stores and it really creates a great sense of comradery."
Caplan said proceeds from the event go to support nonprofits in our area.
She said last year, they were able to raise about $3,000 last year for Oregon Wild and Cascadia Wildlands.
To learn more about Tokes 'N' Treats and see the participating dispensaries, click here.
- Marijuana dispensaries put twist on Halloween with Tokes 'N' Treats
- Marijuana dispensary buffer zone under consideration
- OLCC fines Coos Bay marijuana dispensary
- Eugene police warn drivers about toking and driving
- Families offer non-food treats this Halloween
- Oregon lawmakers, dispensaries respond to marijuana policy change
- Dispensaries react to proposed marijuana shop buffer zone
- Dispensaries can deliver marijuana in Roseburg city limits, officials say
- TRICK OR TREAT: List of Halloween events Wednesday
- Your guide to Halloween trick-or-treating etiquette