EUGENE, Ore. – Lane County is providing an alternate homeless camping location to those currently living on the Butterfly Lot property at 8th and Oak in downtown Eugene. Officials said it will be a safer and healthier location than the Butterfly Lot.
On Saturday, the county opened an alternate location near Highway 99 and Roosevelt.
Lane County officials said it’s primarily for the people who are camping at the Butterfly Lot, but anyone is welcome.
Officials with the county said they chose that spot because they own the property and it's within city limits. It's also right across the street from St. Vincent de Paul's Lindholm Service Center which offers people free food, laundry, showers and other services. Lane County officials also said this location is an ideal spot because it’s close to plenty of bus stops.
Officials said the site can house more than 50 people and will have portable restrooms, water, a trash removal service, fencing, and will hopefully be a place people can feel at home.
KEZI spoke with Larry Fluck whose been homeless in Eugene for nearly 20 years, he hopes this site can be a step forward in tackling the homeless crisis.
"It's been plaguing Eugene for years and it's getting worse and worse,” said Fluck. “This is the first time that a few of us have gotten an opportunity to have a safe place, structured or it wouldn't work."
Officials with the county said they don't have a firm end date on the new location. But said the ultimate goal is making sure people using the site can transition into more established programs offered throughout the county.
County officials said they are not forcing anyone to move to the site from the Butterfly Lot, and said they will continue to manage that location and make sure it's a safe and healthy place for everyone in downtown Eugene.
- Lane County offers alternate camping location for people living on Butterfly Lot
- Lane County closes Butterfly Lot, removes homeless campers
- What's next for the Butterfly Lot?
- County considers curfew for the 'Butterfly Lot' in downtown Eugene
- Butterfly Lot curfew public hearing set for Tuesday
- Mixed reactions to new curfew on Eugene's Butterfly Lot
- Lane County Sheriff's Office locates missing hiker
- Pet of the Week: Butterfly
- Lane County considers overnight camping pilot program