EUGENE, Ore. – The Lane County Board of Commissioners is supporting the planned renovations for Hayward Field at the University of Oregon.
The board voted unanimously on Tuesday to send a letter to Eugene Mayor Lucy Vinis and the Eugene City Council declaring its support.
In the letter, Board Chair Jay Bozievich said the field’s renovations will help showcase Eugene and Lane County during the 2021 International Association of Athletics Federations World Championships.
He said he is confidant the renovation will incorporate and preserve the historical elements of historic Hayward Field.
Bozievich also said the board is concerned that adding “complex requirements” to allow the Hayward Field renovations may delay construction and jeopardize Eugene’s ability to host the IAAF World Championships.
The Eugene City Council will be taking up the issue of the renovations Wednesday.
Some in the community have said that the university is going too far with its renovation plans, and that losing the old Hayward Field would be like losing a piece of history.
- Board of Commissioners supports Hayward Field renovations
- UO announces massive renovation to Hayward Field
- Community reacts to Hayward Field renovation plans
- Hayward Field Construction Closures
- Community members fight back against Hayward Field renovation
- Crews start dismantling Hayward Field
- Hayward Field East Grandstand Supporters hold public informational meeting
- Tinker Hatfield criticizes Hayward Field plans
- Community reacts to Hayward Field demolition
- Historic Hayward Field sign taken down