EUGENE, Ore -- #GivingTuesday is a designated day to donate to charities. It was founded six years ago and has grown into a global phenomenon. If you are planning to donate, Better Business Bureau suggests giving wisely.
BBB Wise Giving Alliance offers the following #Giving Tuesday Checklist:
- Family Decisions. Sit down with your family and/or friends to identify the causes and charities that are most meaningful to you. See the results of our recent survey which shows that 61% of Millennial parents have talked about charity with their children in the past year.
- Watch Out for Name Similarity. Charities raising money for the same cause can have names that sound similar. Avoid cases of mistaken identity by looking at the name carefully.
- What Does the Charity Do? A charity’s name won’t necessarily reflect the nature of its program activities. Review the charity’s appeals and website to make sure you know how it plans to address the problems it describes so well
- Verify Your Charity. Visit Give.org to verify that your charity of choice is trustworthy and transparent.
CharityNavigator.org is another resource.
- How to verify a nonprofit on #GivingTuesday
- Nonprofit addresses growing youth mental health crisis
- Nonprofit looking to buy Springfield restaurant
- Eugene police help nonprofit collect princess attire
- Eugene nonprofit falls victim to mail theft
- Marathon Monday: Runners Support Local Nonprofits
- Nonprofit accuses OSU of animal neglect
- Special Report: Nonprofit teaching children gun safety
- Nonprofits recycle green trees into green cash
- Eugene nonprofit creates new treatment center for Veterans