Springfield house fire prompts warning from firefighters

The house was partially damaged after a fire started from a cigarette.

Posted: May 13, 2018 9:29 PM

SPRINGFIELD, Ore.-- Eugene-Springfield fire officials are warning about the dangers of hot embers after a Springfield home caught fire early Sunday afternoon.

Lance Lighty, a battalion chief with Eugene-Springfield fire, told KEZI 9 News it happened because of a cigarette.

Officials say they got the call around noon. Neighbors saw the front porch of a home on South 19th street on fire. By the time the fire department got there, the neighbors had already put the fire out by using buckets of water.

With the weather getting warmer and more dry, officials say all it takes is a small ember for something to catch on fire.

"With cigarette butts, hot ashes from your fire stove or your barbecue, make sure you put them in a place where there's not combustibles around. In this case, it happened to be on a wood deck, next to plastic siding. Just the perfect recipe to catch fire and burn up the wall,” Lighty said.

Nobody was hurt in the fire. Although, there was damage to the outside of the home.

Oregon Coronavirus Cases

Data is updated nightly.

Confirmed Cases: 41739

Reported Deaths: 653
CountyConfirmedDeaths
Multnomah9055160
Marion5733108
Washington568175
Umatilla334444
Clackamas308165
Lane232627
Malheur190938
Jackson16506
Deschutes111013
Yamhill98515
Linn79815
Polk64815
Jefferson6039
Morrow5436
Lincoln51513
Union4652
Benton4366
Klamath4083
Wasco34715
Douglas3455
Hood River2771
Josephine2633
Columbia2561
Clatsop2410
Coos2360
Baker1143
Crook1032
Tillamook700
Curry571
Wallowa422
Lake340
Harney230
Sherman180
Gilliam110
Grant110
Wheeler10
Unassigned00
Eugene
Few Clouds
52° wxIcon
Hi: 53° Lo: 24°
Feels Like: 52°
Corvallis
Clear
50° wxIcon
Hi: 51° Lo: 24°
Feels Like: 50°
Roseburg
Clear
57° wxIcon
Hi: 59° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 57°
North Bend
Clear
56° wxIcon
Hi: 56° Lo: 37°
Feels Like: 56°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events