SPRINGFIELD, Ore.-- Eugene-Springfield fire officials are warning about the dangers of hot embers after a Springfield home caught fire early Sunday afternoon.
Lance Lighty, a battalion chief with Eugene-Springfield fire, told KEZI 9 News it happened because of a cigarette.
Officials say they got the call around noon. Neighbors saw the front porch of a home on South 19th street on fire. By the time the fire department got there, the neighbors had already put the fire out by using buckets of water.
With the weather getting warmer and more dry, officials say all it takes is a small ember for something to catch on fire.
"With cigarette butts, hot ashes from your fire stove or your barbecue, make sure you put them in a place where there's not combustibles around. In this case, it happened to be on a wood deck, next to plastic siding. Just the perfect recipe to catch fire and burn up the wall,” Lighty said.
Nobody was hurt in the fire. Although, there was damage to the outside of the home.
- Springfield house fire prompts warning from firefighters
- Eugene Springfield Fire welcomes 14 new firefighters
- Police help put out fire after firefighters ambushed in Springfield
- Springfield fire under investigation
- Firefighters install smoke detectors in Springfield neighborhood
- Abandoned Springfield house burns overnight
- Lebanon firefighters rescue dog, extinguish house fire
- Firefighters rescue pets in Lebanon house fire
- Firefighters extinguish fire at Charleston ice house
- Springfield priest warns about impersonation scam