COTTAGE GROOVE, Ore. --Officials say the fire started in the kitchen and caused severe damage to the home, while also leaving one of the homeowners, Chris Moore, injured.
The Moore family awoke in the middle of the night to the smoke detector alarm and proceeded to evacuate the house.
Trisha West, a family friend, said that Chris kicked his leg through a sliding glass door in an attempt to get their cat's out of the house.
The glass ended up cutting through his leg muscle, tendons, and artery, leaving first responders to give Chris a tourniquet because of the mass amounts of blood he was loosing.
Chris was transported to RiverBend Hospital where he later had surgery.
South Lane County Fire Dept. did an investigation into what caused the fire to start and concluded that it was from an extension cord in the kitchen that was being used to run an appliance.
Cyndi Moore, wife of Chris and mother to their three daughters, is now faced with the challenge of finding a rental home for the family to stay in since the inside of their home was destroyed.
A GoFundMe was created by Megan Brown, sister of Cyndi, to help the Moore family get back on their feet after all of their belongings were destroyed. To learn more, click here.
- House fire in Cottage Grove leaves family of five displaced
- Fire damages Cottage Grove home, displaces two families
- Cottage Grove house fire under investigation
- Cottage Grove celebrates new affordable housing project
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove carousel wins award
- Missing Cottage Grove woman located
- Cottage Grove celebrates Earth Day
- Cottage Grove aquatic center reopens
- Fire damages home in Cottage Grove