BREAKING NEWS: 2 dead in crash on Highway 99 Full Story

House fire destroys home on Hilyard Street in Eugene; family pleads for help

Kayla Reynolds, who lived in the home with her husband and four kids said they were out Saturday night and came home to find their house engulfed in flames.

Posted: Sep. 23, 2018 6:05 PM
Updated: Sep. 24, 2018 1:13 PM

EUGENE, Ore. – A Eugene family said they’re left with nothing after a fire tore through their home Saturday night.

Kayla Reynolds, who lived in the home with her husband and four kids said they were out Saturday night and came home to find their house engulfed in flames.

Reynolds said the fire marshal told her the fire was sparked by faulty wiring under the stairs the led to one of her daughter’s rooms.

She said the wire has been slowly burning for five to ten years.

If they were home while the fire broke out, Reynolds said they could’ve lost a child.

She’s grateful no one was hurt, but said they no longer have a home.

"All of our things to take care of our children are completely gone. Our children are traumatized. We have two six-year-olds and they were just petrified and crying and they were so scared,” Reynolds said.

A Eugene-Springfield fire official said the flames spread to a neighboring home and caused some damage.

A resident from the neighboring home told KEZI 9 News they are still able to live there.

Reynolds said the family does not have renters insurance and they are asking for the community’s help.

If you’d like to help the family, click here for their Go Fund Me page.

Article Comments

Eugene
Clear
38° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 38°
Corvallis
Clear
39° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 34°
Feels Like: 39°
Roseburg
Clear
45° wxIcon
Hi: 80° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 45°
North Bend
Clear
44° wxIcon
Hi: 73° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 44°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events