EUGENE, Ore. - A homeless man was arraigned Friday on murder charges.
Prosecutors said Edward Hughes killed 71-year-old Leonard Johnson in his Springfield apartment over Labor Day weekend in 2015.
Police arrested Hughes in West Eugene Thursday night.
Hughes pleaded not guilty Friday to Johnson's death.
Police said Johnson's body was found inside his Mill Street apartment.
At that time, officials said they had no suspects but, said Johnson had a long criminal history including a rape conviction.
The District Attorney's Office said a Lane County Grand Jury returned an indictment for Hughes before detectives tracked him down and arrested him.
Officials did not say what led investigators to Hughes.
- Homeless man faces murder charges in connection to the death of a Springfield man
- Springfield man facing sex abuse charges
- Springfield man charged with murdering infant
- Fire in Springfield leaves one man homeless
- Man faces murder charges in Coquille
- Springfield man charged with manslaughter in infant's death
- Man found guilty of murdering Springfield mother
- Missing Springfield man found
- Police: Masked man steals SUV, faces attempted murder charge
- Man faces murder charge after victim dies following assault