EUGENE, Ore. -- A man is dead after a deadly use-of-force incident involving a Lane County sheriff's deputy, officials said late Monday night.
The name and age of the deceased individual has not been released.
Officials say the man was armed at the time of his death.
No sheriff's deputies were injured in the gunfire.
Officials said the bloodshed unfolded just before 5 p.m. when a stolen Honda Accord was spotted in the 500 block of Clairmont Drive in unincorporated Lane County.
"As the male driver got out of the vehicle, the Deputy approached and confronted him. The driver was not cooperative with the Deputy, he was in possession of a firearm and was shot by the Deputy. He was transported to the hospital by ambulance where he was later pronounced deceased," said Chief Deputy Cliff Harrold.
Speaking during a late-night news conference at the Lane County Sheriff's Office, Chief Deputy Cliff Harrold said the passenger of the stolen car has been identified but is not in custody.
Officers wearing SWAT gear and carrying military-style rifles swarmed the neighborhood after the shooting.
"It was freaky," Austin Berge, a neighbor, said. "And then when I find out what it is I had to have a serious talk with the kids and lock everything down."
The Oregon State Police, the Cottage Grove Police Department, and the Eugene Police Department were also at the scene.
"All kinds of crazy things are happening, so you don't really know," Francis Omara, a neighbor, said. "It could be anything really. I mean there's mass shootings all over the place so who the heck knows?"
- Lane County deputy shoots, kills suspect
- Lane County deputy on leave pending investigations
- Lane County deputy resigns amid misconduct investigation
- Suspect arrested in vehicle theft after running from Lane County deputies
- Coos County deputies search for burglary suspects
- Deputies investigate inmate death at Lane County Jail
- Lane County Sheriff's Office deputy accused of rape.
- Lane County deputies make arrest in rape case from 2007
- Lane County deputies fire at driver accused of stealing car
- Lane County Deputies search for a wanted man